Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

March 16, 2010

perfect marriage ruined by new friend

Loma’s marriage was perfect until her husband, Frank, struck up a business friendship with a legal couple, John and Dimi, who set up business in the office next to his dental surgery.

“Frank is a lovely man, very caring and compassionate but his one fault is that he has always been a soft touch – never bothering to harass patients for payment,” explains Loma, “and that’s why, I think, he got sucked into ditching his old legal advisers for the services of J & D – a couple I instinctively disliked.”

“A year after our son Davy was born I mentioned to Frank that it would be nice if we could set up a special inheritance for him – particularly an investment property I had been looking at, and he thought it was a good idea, too.”

“I agreed with Frank that he should sound out J & D on how we should go about setting up a special inheritance investment property for Davy, and I was surprised when he came home and said that John had advised him that any investment property should be bought by Frank’s dental business, not privately, because of financial lurks and stuff like that.”

“I told Frank that I didn’t like this idea at all and that if a child cannot hold property in his or her own right, under some trust, then it would be better to put the property in my name and that would give me some income and something to do until Davy is old enough to own the property in his own right.”

“Frank agreed that getting his dental business involved in private property purchases was probably not a better idea than mine,” says Loma, “but apparently when he mentioned my idea to John he was cautioned about putting property in my name.”

“Had Frank just left it at that, I would have been none the wiser,” sighs Loma, “but unfortunately he blurted out that John had sat him down and given him some very somber advice about wives who wangle their husbands into putting property in their names and then suing for divorce and ruining their husbands financially.”

“This wounded me so badly that I fear our marriage is doomed.”

Read more by Loma on this issue:


  • husband’s friend is a louse
  • business and pleasure don’t mix


  • Labels: , , , , ,