Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

April 14, 2008

separation endangers kids


The father of Mignon's little boy wasn't just a deadbeat dad, he was also a wife beater and after she separated from him and got him charged with assaualt she turned to her family for support.

"On the day I had to attend court to put my ex-husband behind bars for beating me up," explains Mignon, "I never gave a second thought to my brother's offer to take care of 4-year old son Aaron when my mother said she was too ill to come over."

"Rather than using a day centre, where he would be with strangers, I thought Aaron would be happier with his uncle, my big brother Sam."

"Sam was out of work at the time - and although I hadn't seen very much of him since I got married and had Aaron I had no reason to believe that there was anything seriously wrong with him," explains Mignon.

"Sure," says Mignon, "he smoked marijuana and lived at home with mom and was a bit of a loner, not interested in forming relationships, but he seemed to get on very well with kids and he doted on Aaron."

"It was going to be the very first time Sam and Aaron were to be alone together," says Mignon, "and I suppose I should have been more wary but I was going through a terrible time with Aaron's father and I wasn't thinking right."

"It didn't even cross my mind that Sam or anyone in my family would do anything to harm me or Aaron," says Mignon. "Why would they when they knew how vulnerable we were and how much I counted on them to help me through this awful time."

"If my mother knew something about Sam that I didn't know about then she would have told me, wouldn't she?"

Poor Mignon was to discover differently.

When she returned from a harrowing experience at court she faced a more harrowing experience at home.

"I found Sam pacing up and down outside my house," says Mignon. "He was very agitated and acting strangely."

"I asked him where Aaron was and he told me that the child was sleeping."

"It was 4pm and Aaron is usually playing in the yard at that time and I started to get worried," says Mignon.

"I couldn't find Aaron in his bedroom but I heard crying coming from my bedroom."

"I rushed into the room to find Aaron undressed in a fetal position on my bed sobbing his little heart out," relates Mignon.

"I screamed out to Sam wanting to know what he had done to Aaron and my brother just said that Aaron had been very naughty."

"I had only been away for six hours and in that time God knows what my brother had done to the child."

"I telephoned my mom and told her that Sam had abused Aaron and she said something amazing to me - she said that Sam had been sexually abused when he was Aaron's age."

"It was almost as if she was saying that Sam had a right to abuse Aaron and that I should suffer what she suffered."

"It is ironic that my family failed me in the most horrific way on the very day I went to court to get justice for being beaten up by Aaron's father."

"I thought that if this incident became widely known - by taking Aaron to a doctor for an examination - that I would lose the child to a children's home or something," explains Mignon.

"I could see that Aaron hadn't been physically harmed so he was crying because of psychological trauma."

"I was wrecked," says Mignon. "Aaron's father was a brute, not caring about me or his son, and now my own family showed me they didn't care either."

"I decided on that day to break all ties with my family and to say nothing about this incident to anyone."

"I also vowed never to leave Aaron alone with anyone else ever again - nobody can be trusted, absolutely nobody."

"If this means that I won't be able to go back to work until Aaron is older then that's fine with me," says Mignon. "His safety is far more important than a job and money."

"And I don't care either if I gain a reputation as an over protective mom," says Mignon. "The only people saying such things are likely to be the very people who want to violate our kids."

"I don't intend to let Aaron out of my sight from now on," says Mignon, "and after telling my mother and my brother exactly what lowlife they were I won't be worrying about them trying to come back into my life."

"From now on it's just Aaron and me and the rest of the rotten world can go to hell."



Labels: , , , , , , ,