Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

March 09, 2010

unsupportive and insensitive husband


Johanna, 38, never expected the bad news she received from her gynaecologist, but her husband’s reaction to something that later turned out to be a false positive pap smear test opened her eyes to just how unsupportive and insensitive her husband was.

"I know that men aren't good at handling sensitive matters - especially those dealing with women's problems,” says Johanna, “but his way of accepting the fact that I had to go into hospital for further tests more or less signed my death warrant!"

"He acted like I was already dead," laughs Johanna. "Worst of all, he actually told me that he needed to start looking around for another wife and mother for the children!"

"Hello? Since when has cancer been a death sentence?"

"It was the first time I had ever had a health problem in the marriage, and I just couldn't believe how insensitive and unsupportive my husband was. In my hour of need, all he was thinking of was himself and how he'd manage looking after the kids on his own - not while I was in hospital, mind you, but when I was dead!”

"He had always been the sick person in the family," explains Johanna. "He just wasn't used to the idea that I might get sick one day and he would have to look after me! After all the times I had tended to his petty little health problems, nursed him like a little baby for every sniffle and sneeze and rash, you would think that he would rally round and be supportive when my turn came around and it was something big like cervical cancer."

"He was worried about the kids - and how he'd manage looking after them on his own - not while I was in hospital, mind you," laughs Johanna, "but when I was dead!"

"I was alive and kicking and feeling fine, despite the test result, but my husband made me feel awful like I was a leper or something."

Read more of Johanna's story:


  • pap smear scare



  • Labels: , , , ,