Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

March 17, 2010

business and pleasure don’t mix

When Loma’s husband, Frank, accepted a dinner invitation from a legal couple, John and Dimi – who had set up business in the office next to his dental surgery and sucked him into ditching his old legal advisers in favor of their services – Loma was forced into socializing with people she instinctively felt very uncomfortable around, and later events proved her right.

“If he had kept his dealings with J & D on a strictly business level our marriage would still be perfect,” sighs Loma, “but unfortunately he accepted a dinner invitation from this couple, and I was forced into socializing with people I instinctively felt very uncomfortable with.”

“J & D were extremely pushy, loud and ostentatious and all they talked about was money,” sighs Loma. “Frank seemed to think they were fabulous and was having a great time at their place, and for his sake I tried to be pleasant to them – even to the point of reciprocating the dinner invitation.”

“At dinner at our place, John made a pass at me when I was in the kitchen,” says Loma, “and that was the end of things as far as I was concerned, although I never spoilt Frank’s friendship with him by saying anything about it. I just told him that I felt uncomfortable with J & D and he understood.”
“From then on, Frank just had lunch with them and kept me out of the loop,” says Loma, “and that worked out well because I was pregnant and everyone assumed I wasn’t interested in socializing.”

“A year later John gained revenge on me for rebuffing his advances by driving a terrible wedge between Frank and I over an inheritance trust I wanted set up for our son,” says Loma. “He intended to split us up and gain more legal business for himself and his awful wife.”

“I was very tempted to tell Frank that John was a louse and had made a pass at me that first, and last time, he had been invited to our home for dinner, and that’s why I refused to socialize with them again, but I kept quiet,” says Loma. “Somehow, I think telling Frank this information now would make me look like a liar.”

“In a ‘my-word-against-his’ scenario,” explains Loma, “I think John has now gained so much of Frank’s confidence that he would have won out over me.”

Read more by Loma on this issue:
  • husband’s friend is a louse
  • perfect marriage ruined by new friend




  • Labels: , , , ,