Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

May 28, 2008

there’s no separation from herpes

Separating from a husband who infected you with herpes is a no brainer, but because there is no separation from herpes – it’s permanent – Ulrika will have a lifelong reminder of the shame she felt when the disease was diagnosed.

“Separation is hard enough for any woman,” says Ulrika, “but because I’m only 19, and have two little children – as well as a nasty herpes infection – I feel as if my life is ruined.”

“My husband is the only man I’ve ever been with,” explains Ulrika. “I grew up with him, he was the big kid on the block and all I ever wanted was to grow up fast so that I could marry him.”

“I trusted him and had no idea that when he was working offshore that he was visiting prostitutes and picking up diseases,” says Ulrika. “How can he do this to us?”

“There’s nothing much to grieve about over the broken relationship,” says Ulrika, “but there’s plenty to grieve over what caused the breakup because herpes is something I’ll never recover from – it’s permanent.”

Read more about Ulrika:



  • herpes, a dirty disease?



  • Labels: , , , , , ,