Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

August 09, 2010

happy wife, happy life


Jaime and Grant have been married for seven years and for most of that time Grant has supported her financially and emotionally while she finds her ‘dream job’ – one which does good in the world – and Jaime believes that their strong marriage is due entirely to Grant believing that a happy wife means a happy life.

“I was between jobs for fourteen months before I found my present job – one that is now causing me grief because of the recession,” says Jaime, “and it was only because Grant was willing to support me throughout that time that I could afford to hold onto my values and seek employment only with those employers that make me feel good about working for them.”

"Grant didn’t just support me financially, he supported me emotionally and philosophically too,” explains Jaime. “He supported my values – and still does. As he sees it, a happy wife is a happy life!"

“What I do for a living is tremendously important to me, and Grant understands that.”

"I remember we were once at a party where a guest actually told everyone that he worked for the Tax Department," laughs Jaime. "You could almost hear a pin drop as soon as the words left his mouth. Nobody wanted to talk to him after that. He became the party pariah!"

"Obviously, he felt no conflict of values about being a tax collector," says Jaime, "but the rest of the party guests - by their reaction - would never dream of working for the Tax Department. It has a bad image. Nobody likes their hard earned money being siphoned off by the bureaucrats and I felt decidedly uneasy around him, too."

“I didn’t want a job like that, and neither would Grant want me to.”

“I love the job I have now, but it’s in trouble because of the recession and the directors have proved to be evil so it’s likely that I will be back on the ‘between jobs’ couch one day soon,” says Jaime. “And having a husband like Grant makes that prospect so much easier to bear. How lucky am I?”

Read more about Jaime:


  • conflicting values
  • ethics v. desperation
  • ethical employer becomes greedy pig
  • Labels: , , ,