Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

February 20, 2008

keepsakes of single life

Clearing out a cupboard before her big move to a new home with Mr Right - her new husband - Destiny came across a key ring that brought a smile to her face and made her wonder whether keeping such reminders of single life is an appropriate thing to do when you're married.

"I remembered the night I was given that key ring," says Destiny, "and I remembered the man who gave it to me - but his name escapes me. Hardly surprising, really, because I had only met him that night and never saw him again."

"The key ring has a red plastic attachment with a small photograph inside of me and two women whom I also met that night and never saw again," explains Destiny.

"I was attending a singles dinner - eight women and eight men - sixteen total strangers who had met together for the first time that night."

"After the dinner we went on a bar crawl," explains Destiny, "and it was at one of these bars that I first paid any attention to Grey - the name I chose to call him because his hair was prematurely grey."

"He had impressed me by insisting upon paying for the women's drinks," laughs Destiny. "It was far too noisy at the bars to have a normal conversation, but I do remember he was a butcher and was a keen gambler on the horses."

"By the third bar only a few of the sixteen total strangers remained in the group," explains Destiny, "and by the end of the night it was just Grey, myself and two other women."

"He was shorter than me, very shy and the sweetest man you could ever hope to meet," sighs Destiny. "He really enjoyed having three women on his arm that night and the other two women and I had a great time making a big fuss of him - after all, he was paying for our drinks!"

"I remember a photographer approached us and Grey insisted that we have a photograph taken - but he refused to join us in the picture."

"He paid for the photographs - which came with a key ring - and gave one to each of us and probably kept one himself."

"He came up to me and very shyly whispered into my ear that I was the best looking girl he'd ever seen in his life," laughs Destiny. "He didn't give me his business card, he didn't ask for my telephone number, and by that time we were all so very tired and drunk that it didn't really matter."

"We took individual taxis home and I never went to any more of the singles dinners - and I never gave Grey a second thought. He was probably married - the nicest ones always are!"

"I put the key ring into the cupboard and it remained there until it came to light three years later."

"I don't think my husband will mind if I take Grey's key ring with me," laughs Destiny. "After all, he's probably taking along his special memories of special friends, too!"

Destiny's story first appeared as the key ring

Labels: , , , , , ,