Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

November 21, 2012

good riddance to bad rubbish!

When Bridie's husband walked out on her it was a case of good riddance to bad rubbish rather than distress. She was self-employed and menopausal and didn't need his dramas on top of her own,  but she didn't expect that he'd walk out on the kids, too, refusing to spend time with them or contribute towards their support.

"I'd spent years building up my little business -- approaching clients and delivering the goods," says Bridie, "and by the time he walked out on us I was doing okay."

"Well, I soon went from doing okay to doing more than okay and the more work I had the more the kids demanded my attention," says Bridie. "You'd think that young teens are old enough to take care of themselves but unfortunately they're at that age where they're defiant -- they won't help around the house -- they're sneaky -- you need to keep a hawk eye on them in case they get into trouble -- and they expect me to do everything for them."

"I don't particularly care that their father isn't contributing towards their support -- I am not short of money," says Bridie, "but I am very upset that he refuses to spend time with them – even to take them out for a McDonald's meal every so often. The girls are okay, but my son is at an age where he needs a dad to talk to."

"It's not just the kids who are missing out on having their father spend time with them," says Bridie. "I'm missing out on having time to myself -- you know, to go out at night or to get out of the house at weekends and be free of all responsibilities."

"And during all of this mayhem I am trying to run a business from home, keep focused on my work and appear cool, calm and collected when a client calls," sighs Bridie. "I've thought about hiring some help but honestly when I think about the red-tape involved – the insurance, the tax, the benefits and everything else involved in hiring staff – it sounds like too much of a hassle.”

"Money-wise, I would not be so well off if I gave up my business and got a job," says Bridie, "but then I would have a very good reason to seek legal child support for the
kids -- and maybe get the Court to order their father to spend time with them?"

"Can the Court force a deadbeat dad to see his kids if he doesn't want to?" asks Bridie. "I don't know, but I do know that I have been dealt a very bad deal in this situation."

"Don't get me wrong," says Bridie, "I am a lot happier without that man in my life pestering me for sex all the time, but I'd be a lot happier if he'd take the kids off my hands every once in a while."

Read more about Bridie:

  • a menopausal hump
  •