Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

December 04, 2006

when I'm 64

Jade grew up loving the Beatles and their songs - especially When I'm 64 - but having reached 50 with a broken marriage, a daughter who no longer wants to know her and her mop-topped idols either dead or in much the same trouble as herself, she has realistically faced the fact that nobody is going to love her when she's 64!

"I think that when the Beatles were writing that song in the 1960s they used their parents or the older generation as a yardstick," says Jade, "but a lot has changed in forty years and I doubt whether very many people will still be in love and bouncing grandkids on their knees when they're 64 these days."

"My parents aren't together any more - and they're not much older than the Beatles," says Jade, "so staying together until you're 64 must be a pre-WWII thing."

"It's a beautiful song - full of love and warmth - so different from the blatantly sexual nature of the other Beatles songs," says Jade, "and that's why it always had special meaning for me."

"I truly thought that my marriage would last the distance and Tim and I would still be in love when we're 64."

"Actually, Tim and I lasted longer than our friends," explains Jade. "All of them were divorced in their 40s. Tim and I felt very threatened by it all, and vowed to stay together, but eventually Tim strayed and left me."

"I'm nine months into the separation and sinking fast," sighs Jade. "I can't compete with the 25-yr old Tim fell for. She was our daughter's best friend and the whole sordid business not only split up Tim and I but the whole family, too."

"My daughter doesn't want to know any of us any more, and I don't blame her," sighs Jade. "I suppose she thinks it was my fault, in some way, for not being attractive enough for her father. It doesn't sound fair, but that's how things are these days. Everyone is crazy."

"Tim wants to remarry, but I'm thoroughly disillusioned by love and marriage and who would have me in any case," sighs Jade. "I really believed that love was forever and that Tim and I would be like the Darby and Joan in the Beatles When I'm 64 song."

"Of course, some of the Beatles themselves divorced and remarried," says Jade, "and Paul McCartney is now going through a separation, too, after starting a second family in his 60s. Maybe the whole thing was an illusion from the start. But I bought it!"

"I think the words of the song should be changed to fit the reality of the 21st century," laughs Jade. "When you marry at 18 or 20, like Tim and I did, you should be asking will you still love me when I'm 44, not 64!"

"I really don't fancy the chances of Tim's second marriage lasting until he's 64," muses Jade, "but that's a chance he's willing to take."

"I couldn't bear the thought of marrying again and then finding myself alone and unloved at 64."

"It's bad enough at 50," sighs Jade, "but at 64 it would be the worst thing on earth to have your marriage fall apart."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,