Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

November 20, 2006

release him, let him go!


After ten years of marriage Livvy's husband started playing the old Englebert Humperdink song Please Release Me so often at home that she couldn't stand it any more. She took the hint and told him to leave and take his music collection with him.

"He was always blaming me and the kids for everything that went wrong in his life - he'd never look at himself and his own shortcomings," explains Livvy, "and that awful song was just his way of letting me know that I was just a ball and chain in his life, nothing more."

"I didn't for one minute believe that there was someone else he loved - he certainly wasn't a ladies man," says Livvy, "but it was pretty obvious that he no longer loved me - if he ever did - and he played that song and over and over again just to play the victim role."

"He got the shock of his life when I told him to leave," says Livvy, "but I expected that. He didn't actually want to be released to face life on his own - he just wanted to wallow in self-serving misery about being married to someone he didn't love."

"I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life listening to that plaintiff trashy song every night," says Livvy. "It was mental torture to listen to it."

"No decent person begs their wife or husband to release them, either directly or indirectly via a song," explains Livvy. "Marriage isn't a prison. If you want out, you get out, plain and simple just like that."

"You don't drive your wife or husband crazy with a pathetic song," says Livvy, "and if he didn't have the guts to leave of his own free will then I had no alternative but to give him a push."

"He had a job and a family to go to," laughs Livvy, "so I wasn't throwing him out on the streets with a fine toothcomb, like Bill Bailey."

"If he truly believed that the kids and I were holding him back from achieving all he wanted to do, then this was his chance to prove himself," says Livvy. "Or, in his case, to face up to his own shortcomings and realize that he had been using us as an excuse, blaming us for his failures in life."

"Sure enough," sighs Livvy, "without weeks he was begging me to take him back, and that was the most insulting thing he could have done. He didn't love me. I was just a comfortable old piece of furniture in his life. He was like a long-term inmate who commits another crime when released from prison, just to get back to a comfortable sheltered lifestyle that he can whine about every day."

"I wasn't going to play the role of his ball and chain!"

"When he realized that the marriage was well and truly over and he was on his own - as free as a bird," laughs Livvy, "guess what he did?"

"He went to a dating agency and within days of our divorce he married a woman with more kids than I had!"

"I shouldn't laugh," sighs Livvy, "but I bet you anything that he started playing that Please Release Me song to his new wife on their honeymoon!"

Labels: , , , ,