Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

November 11, 2012

caring for mad mother in law

Selma agreed to marry her boyfriend before she had met her prospective mother-in-law, and as a result she ended up becoming the hapless carer for a mentally ill woman.

“My mother-in-law was someone I could not avoid because I had fallen in love with her son long before I had ever met her,” sighs Selma. “That’s a good reason to meet the parents of every guy you date, before the first date, because you never know about these things until it is too late!”

“She had mental problems and made my life hell for the six years I was married,” says Selma. “After two miscarriages the stress she caused me was so awful that I ended the marriage to ensure my own survival.”

“I had to give up work to look after her, and it was a full-time job,” explains Selma. “She needed watching 24/7 to ensure that she didn’t harm herself or burn the house down, and dealing with her ferocious temper drained me.”

“Initially, I coped with this totally unexpected burden of marriage," says Selma, "but what with the miscarriages and feeling used by my husband and abused by his mother I had to let go.”

“I never held my ex-husband responsible for his mother’s behavior or considered that he tricked me into marriage,” says Selma, “but now that she’s dead and our ‘amicable divorce’ has been exposed as a sham, I can see that he very clearly married me in order to dump his mother onto someone else.”

Read more by Selma on this issue:


  • Sweet Justice



  • It’s a jungle out there!



  • amicable divorce sham