Marital Matters

Personal stories about marital matters and separation issues.

August 13, 2007

dreams vs. husband


Bridget’s dreams had always been to go to law school, and when she achieved that aim after having had four children and playing the good wife – her husband was not as supportive as she hoped he would be.

"Winning a place at law school was totally out of this world," says Bridget. "I was thrilled, and I refused to let my husband's attitude get me down.”

“He had grave misgivings about my ability to remain a good wife and mother,” says Bridget, “but I told him that this was my time, my dream, and if if he loved me he would support me in my goals."

"My tutor at law school warned me that husbands often sabotage their wives' studies and rob them of careers they deserve in order to maintain power in the marriage," says Bridget, "and while I don’t think he did it deliberately, it is exactly what happened.”

"I could see he was annoyed with me because he had to take over almost total care of the children when he came home from work," says Bridget, "and when he developed a bad cough I became really annoyed with him – coughing so much that he distracted me from my studies and denied me adequate sleep.”

"I made him see a doctor and there was no medical reason for the cough, but it was so loud that I had to move into the spare room to get some sleep," explains Bridget "When I did this, my husband complained that he felt unloved and neglected."

“Finally, one night I lost it with my husband and as a consequence I lost my self-confidence and desire to excel."

“I felt awful,” explains Bridget. “My husband was right. I had turned into a monster and I had upset the harmony of the home and marriage with my dreams.”

"No dream is worthwhile if it causes you to lose respect for yourself and others to lose respect for you, is it? It had all turned into a nightmare.”

Bridget maintains that her husband did not force her to quit the law course. It was her decision to do so. She quit the law course shortly after the argument with her husband and returned to her old part-time job.

Read more about Bridget:


  • stations in life
  • what will the neighbors think?
  • held back by family



  • Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,